Thursday, October 22, 2009

AND WE'RE OFF! Copenhagen Denmark - May 12th


Monday, May 11th at 6:45pm, we flew out of Seattle to Copenhagen, Denmark on our way to Paris, France. It is not an overstatement to say that I'm a nervous flyer. I had sweaty palms and a stomach ache for at least the first 6 hours of the 14 hour flight. I do not like to be off of solid ground and I was also worried about leaving my children but once I calmed down and slept on the plane (not much) I felt so much better. I was really excited about our adventure. Hyrum is such an easy-going traveler he was fine when we were in the car on the way to the airport.
As we were flying into the Copenhagen airport, everything was so beautiful. It is so green and there's lots of farmland. We could even see the Oresund Bridge that links Denmark to Sweden. The Copenhagen airport is huge with a lot of shopping, expensive shopping. It was so nice in comparsion to Chales de Gaulle airport in Paris, which , believe it or not, is an absolute dump.

We had a 4 hour layover so we decided to catch the train (like a subway) and head into downtown Copenhagen. While on the train, at one stop this group of kids, about 5 of them, got on. They ranged in age from about 6-9 years old. I kept watching for their parents but the kids were the only ones who boarded. This was our first introduction to Denmark. Hyrum and I were somewhat alarmed that they weren't with any adults but as we made other stops, more kids got on and we realized that this is completely normal here. (I can't say I even want my kids riding their bike up to the school by themselves let alone letting them ride all over town on a Subway system with out me.) Denmark has a very low crime rate.

As we got off and came up the stairs, I took one look at the city center and fell in love with Denmark! Everything was so cute! It was also so clean. And as we walked around people were really friendly and so happy. We also saw more kids by themselves playing and bikes everywhere! Unlocked bikes! I hope we can go back to Denmark and take our kids with us - I think they'd love it!


Bikers were everywhere!

The city center. Lots of people sitting on the benches eating ice cream around the square.

We were actually supposed to be in this picture but the guy who took it thought Denmark looked better than the Rigtrup's! ;)

Like France, Denmark also uses the tops of buildings to advertise.

A typical street with lots of shopping.

NONE of these bikes were locked up! Check out the Angels and Demons poster in the background. We saw that poster all over France too!

Outside cafe. Lots of young people socializing. We wondered if it was a holiday or if these people work?
Across the street from this was a Frankfurt hot dog stand. I wish we got a picture of it! We paid something like 300 krone (DKK) for each one (I think about $5). We had it Danish style with some sort of red sweet sauce, mustard and cucumbers. Yum!

Lots of cobblestone.

Ran into the LDS missionaires coming to Denmark from the MTC. They were happy to see fellow Americans!

Hyrum took this picture while we were waiting for our flight to Paris. I was exhausted from the time change.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I can't wait to see more of your photos! I'm so glad your guys were able to take that trip together! Fun!

Heather said...

That airport is crazy big. Can't wait to see the other pictures! I'll grant you access to my blog using your email address. If it's a different one, then let me know! I'll call you this week, it got crazy last week as I watched my friend's kids while they were out of town and my house was turned inside out!